Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Will you be my friend?

Ahhh Facebook. The internet is moving so quickly that sometimes there is only time for action - not reflection. I think that social networking is a technology that brings people together but also creates a generational divide. While many younger people (particularly students) have no problem with posting every detail and photo of their lives - older generations (typically the employers) do not understand why students do not share the same privacy hestitations they do. So now what is the impression? That Facebook should be used as another way to "spy" on potential employees - to gain dirt on them and find reasons not to hire them? Because in some ways this is how employers are choosing to use this technology.

I have been a member of Facebook for quite awhile. As a fairly new graduate, I use Facebook to connect with my friends & family from past and present - to post photos and to communicate with people who are all over the world. FOR FUN. While Facebook and other social networking sites are entertaining - they are what they are - social. This is a place for people to connect with others using technology on a social level and it is my belief that organizations and institutions should not disrupt this arrangement. While it may seem like an easy way for companies and groups to reach out to younger audiences I do not think this forum is the place to do so.

On that note - people need to be aware of what they post on the web. These sites offer very little restrictions and they also do not educate their users on privacy options. Students especially who are looking to find a job and are representing a program or a university need to be aware that their actions on the web can be open for all to view.

So what conclusion can I draw about Facebook? I am torn. I enjoy using Facebook and definitely think it can bring people together who otherwise may never meet. However, I also believe caution should be applied as you never know which "friend" you may come across.

No comments: