Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Online Applications & Tools

Today, I'm here to comment on the activity about Online Applications & Tools.

When looking through the list the first one that caught my attention was Meebo - the instant messaging site. I think this is a great invention because it allows people to sign on to their personal IM accounts on any computer - whether the software is downloaded there or not. I definitely think that instant messaging could have a place in the service delivery model of a career centre and with this technology a career counsellor or relationship manager could set up a work account and access this account at any time from anywhere.

I also felt like the online word applications such as Google docs were a great idea - I wasn't quite sure what I would use this for as many of my documents are completed on one computer. For a student however, who works on group projects and may need to edit, print and save these documents on different computers and different times, this tool is very useful.

Snipshots was a neat way to quickly edit photos and save them to either your computer or the web in a quick amount of time. It would be great is more of these applications were free to users instead of offering only free trials or limited options to free users.

I'm not sure how quickly these applications will replace computer software, but if they are free or at a much lower cost then I can definitely see the benefits of learning more of what they can do.

No comments: